tabs

Friday 15 June 2012

Iconography


“These Women are not playing History’s game, and they refuse to be trapped in a dream” – Annie Paul 




Natalie McGuire explores the historical and contemporary depictions of Caribbean women in art in this article for ARC Magazine - What is a Contemporary Caribbean Woman?

To have been included in this exploration is an honour. Especially considering that I work in part to change the perception of what it is to be Black, female and West Indian and to navigate the complexities of Caribbean identity. 


Why am I not all things for myself? Aggregate, Prismatic, Grotesque and data moshed? Why is my image determined by the external fantasy of the foreign and the masculine? 
I think it's an interesting read. I am incredibly angsty at times though, despite that may work may not readily convey that sentiment :]

keep good!





No comments: