tabs

Sunday 22 May 2011

GOODNESS and the Chocolate Lady

chocolate lady


I have a friend who says this piece reminds her of her mother, "the chocolate lady". I like that name for her, she seems to be smiling. It's good.

Many thanks to Dee. O at That GOOD GOOD blog for the Good Life feature. The feedback has been lovely; thanks also to those who've contact me with positive vibes. Much appreciated!

Walk good!





READ MORE at That GOOD GOOD Blog

What is your definition of a “good life”? Do you feel as if that is what you are living?


A good life is, for me, when the things that make you smile are more powerful than those that don’t; when what is gained through sharing with others and having them share with you vast outweighs what is taken by day to day living. It isn’t about money or material possessions; it’s about having love, respect, communion with people you want to share with, tasks you enjoy, having some kind of work to do and the option to just rest sometimes. It’s fulfilling, I think, and so important. I think I do have a “good life”, yes. With a lot of support I have that as a real possibility for which I am very grateful.


How important do you feel it is for people to follow their passions, even if doing so doesn’t seem like a “secure” life choice?

It’s critical I would say. Maybe not immediately but I, in deciding to practice art full time, just had to look around, to listen, to observe in order to see the impact of not following those innate passions – everywhere there are people who feel stunted, wasted, a little bitter because of that disconnect from what is essentially the thing that they’re meant to do. I’m young, it’s easy for me to say “Go for it!” but that’s ok, that’s a part of being young. It’s something I hope never lose really and something I hope to pass on to my children when they come; take a few wise risks, believe, work hard, play hard, respect others and never give up. It’s not always an easy decision to live with, not always easy to believe in myself but everyday I wake up with the anticipation of making something today, working on something today – knowing I have this freedom and being challenged to not waste it. That’s the worst thing I feel I could do; waste this. So, as discouraging as it can sometimes be, I have a gift, I have a blessing, I have been given something, decided something – however you choose to see it – and I have to make the most of that.


If you could give someone a quote to live by, what would it be?

I have a few that speak to me. I can only go with what I have learnt myself; this one changed my life quite literally - “A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.” -Abraham Maslow. Whatever it is you are; be it with discipline, with commitment and with love. I’m trying to do the same.


5 comments:

Precious Henshaw said...

Beautiful artwork. I very much enjoyed the interview as well.



joie-de-vie-blog.blogspot.com

Qalil.com said...

How did I not know about you and your art work? Thank you so much for bringing beauty in your art.

Kwajelyn said...

How can I buy a print of this!

magdaayuk said...

I'm so happy that you get to live trough your art! :)

Tarra Lu said...

Stunning!